The Cambridge Libraries & Galleries provides its services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
All reasonable effort will be made to ensure that our policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the following principles set out in the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service (Ontario Regulation 429/07):
- That the provision of services to people with disabilities and others are integrated unless an alternative measure is necessary, whether temporarily or on a permanent basis, to enable a person with disability to obtain, use or benefit from our services;
- That people with disabilities are given an opportunity equal to that given to others to obtain, use or benefit from our services
We are committed to:
- Communicating with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability;
- Welcoming the use of personal assistive devices to access our services;
- Permitting service animals to assist people with disabilities in all areas of our facilities open to the public and providing alternative accommodation when the animal is disallowed by law;
- Welcoming support persons accompanying people with disabilities and ensuring that a person with a disability is not prevented from having access to their support person while on the premises;
- Waiving fees for a support person who is assisting a person with disabilities access our services
- Providing notification when facilities or services that people with disabilities rely on to access our services and resources are temporarily disrupted;
- Welcoming and facilitating feedback from members of the public about our delivery of services to people with disabilities;
- Providing training in the provision of customer service for people with disabilities to all staff, volunteers, agents, contractors and others who could reasonably be expected to interact with members of the public, or who develop and oversee policies, practices and procedures.
Notification that the documents required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service are available will be posted. Upon request, this policy and any associated documents will be provided in an agreed upon format that takes into account the person’s disability.