Shunzi Redfern | February 12, 2018
February, the Month of Love!
“I think... if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts.” ― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
Ah, February, the month of joyous celebrations in the name of love. The aroma of chocolate fills the air and tissue fibers are flying around because watching too many rom-coms can do that. For me, February is also the perfect month for a spot of light reading. This is the month for me to dive into classical literature and binge read until the late hours of the night. So, without any further ado, here are some of my ‘Favourite Fictions’ for the romantic month of February (These are not all books):
• “Anna Karenina” - It’s a classic.
• “Giselle” - The story of a peasant girl that fell hopelessly in love with the Duke of Silesia, and ultimately paid for it with her life. The story behind the ballet is absolutely enchanting.
• “Pamela” - The story of a young girl pursued by her unrelenting suitor, Mr B. The meaning of “Pamela” is to gain virtue through reading her letters.
• “Clarissa” - The journey of a young girl and her suitor, Mr Lovelace.
• “Victoria” - A movie about Queen Victoria (Emily Blunt) and her husband, Prince Albert (Rupert Friend). As a historian, I geek out about this.
• “Wuthering Heights” - You can’t go wrong with the Brontë sisters.
Enjoy all of the sumptuous offerings of February, and browse the library to see if you can find any other books that’s perfect for the month of love.