History | January 27, 2015
The Galt Subscription and Circulating Library was established with a loan of 25 pounds from the Honorable William Dickson, a founder of this community. The initial meeting to discuss the formation of the library took place on Christmas day December 25.1835. Rev. John Bayne was the first chairman of the Library Board while Alexander Burnett acted as the first secretary. The library consisted of a few bookcases in the home of a Mrs. Johnson at the corner of Main and Ainslie Streets. There were 150 paying members.