about + membership banner

1853

Share

History

  • Card advertisement for Galt Mechanics Institute, 1853. Image from City of Cambridge Archives.
    Card advertisement for Galt Mechanics Institute,1853. Image from City of Cambridge Archives.

History | January 27, 2015

On May 12 a public meeting was held to replace the subscription plan of the original library with the Galt Mechanics Institute. The institute which had been formed on May 31 of the same year was located at the southwest corner of Main and Water Streets. James G. Fraser, a telegraph operator was the first librarian.