about + membership banner

1858

Share

History

  • Photograph, 1890, Jennie Stewart, Librarian of Galt Public Library
    Photograph, 1890, Jennie Stewart, Librarian of Galt Public Library

History | January 27, 2015

The Galt Mechanics Institute moved to the second floor of the Town Hall, a new building commissioned to be built in 1856. Alexander Addison was the librarian. The Institute received a sum of $50 from the provincial government to buy technical books on the condition that the Institute spend the same amount for the same purpose.