History | January 27, 2015
The Preston Library was established a Mechanic’s Institute, located in the Fireman’s Hall. Mrs Anna B. Chalenor was chosen as Librarian at a salary of $50 year. The Hespeler Library was also established as a Mechanic’s Institute on June 12. The Institute is first housed in the Engine House at the west end of Riverside Terrace and operated until 1898 when it was dissolved and replaced by the Hespeler Public Library. James Phin is the first President and Ventry Conway the first librarian.