about + membership banner

1903

Share

History

  • Galt Carnegie Library during the March 20,1948 flood
    Galt Carnegie Library during the March 20,1948 flood

History | January 29, 2015

The Galt Library moved to its own building at 34 Water Street North. The relocation was funded by a $20,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, one of 125 such libraries funded and built in Canada. The new Carnegie Library was designed by architect Fred Mellish, who also designed the fire hall at 56 Dickson Street. Miss Millard is the first librarian of the new facility.