Idea Exchange | June 2, 2020
Idea Exchange, Old Post Office will be open for Makerspace Pick-up Service starting on Tuesday, June 16. Idea Exchange members can submit their laser cutter, 3D printer, pinback button, and magnet projects, staff will complete the job and contact you when it is ready for pick-up.
New Take and Make kits will also be available.
How Do I Use the Makerspace Pick-up Service?
To submit projects, you will need a valid Idea Exchange membership and then follow these steps:
- Create your design file
- Submit your design file
- Wait for staff to contact you when the job is complete
- Pay for material costs
- Pick-up your completed project
Please read the information below before you begin.
Step One – Create your Design File
For all projects, include any and all instructions in a readme file, a printout, or in the email.
We will accept the following types of design files:
- Laser cutter – Designs created in any 2D drawing application. The file extension must be one of the following: .pdf, .cdr, .svg, .ai, .dwg, .dxf . Only unfinished, natural materials are used (eg. wood, fabric, clear glass for etching).
- 3D printing – Only . stl or .obj files will be accepted.
- Pinback buttons and magnets – Use the online template to create your design at home. Submit the saved file to us or drop-off the printout.
- Design files must be complete. Staff will not design projects.
- Idea Exchange reserve the right to refuse incomplete designs.
- Quality of finished product will vary, depending on quality of design submitted. Idea Exchange is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in the quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any of the tools or equipment.
- It is the member’s obligation and responsibility to determine and satisfy copyright, patent, trademark or other use restrictions. Idea Exchange is not responsible for violation of intellectual property laws.
- Idea Exchange reserve the right to refuse any projects that violate our policies, are unsafe and/or are unlawful.
Step Two – Submit your Design File
- A valid Idea Exchange membership is required submit projects to the Makerspace Pick-up Service.
- Members can submit design files to oporeception [at] ideaexchange.org or call 226-533-2767 to arrange for the drop-off of USB and materials to the Old Post Office during service hours.
- All materials submitted must be labelled and include your:
- First and last name
- Telephone number and email address
- Idea Exchange membership number
- Complete instructions for build
- When dropping-off materials, use the intercom to contact staff, then place your items on the table outside of the door and step back. Staff will retrieve your items from the table.
- Physical materials and USBs submitted by members will be quarantined for 3 days.
- A maximum of 3 jobs per member, per week will be accepted.
Step Three – Wait for Staff to Contact You When the Job is Complete
- Jobs will be completed within 7 days. Completion times may vary due to volume.
- Staff will produce designs and call or email you when the job is complete.
Step Four – Pay for Material Costs
- Any material costs incurred must be paid for by credit card over the phone before pick-up. No payments will be accepted in person during pick-up.
- Material costs are:
- Pinback buttons: $1 each.
- Magnets: $2 each
- 3D Printing: Filament is .10 cents per gram. An average job is 25 grams ($2.50).
- Laser cutter:
- 19" x 30" sheet of 1/8" Baltic Birch Plywood - $6.00 Full Sheet, $3.00 Half Sheet, $1.50 1/4 Sheet
Step Five – Pick-up Your Completed Project
- The Delivery Entrance at the south end of the building will be used for all pick-ups and drop-offs.
- When picking up finished projects, call 226-533-2767 or use the intercom on the glass beside the door to alert staff that you are outside the building.
- Step back from the entrance and stand behind the yellow line. Staff will leave your project on the table outside the door. Once they are safely back inside you can retrieve your items.
- Please follow safe physical distancing requirements when at the Old Post Office.
- Staff will clean the intercom and table after each use.