Idea Exchange | July 23, 2021
Idea Exchange, Old Post Office is open for in-person services, including limited equipment use, children’s activities, self-guided tours, and study space. Our popular Makerspace Pick-up Service and Take and Make kits also continue. Hours and services differ between floors. Please review all information below before you visit.
Hours of operation:
- Makerspace: Monday to Saturday, noon - 6:00pm
- All Other Floors and Pick-up Service: Monday to Saturday, 10:00am - 6:00pm
What equipment is available and how can I use it?
Makerspace (third floor):
- Laser Cutter, Cricut machine, embroidery machine, sewing machines, design computers, and tools – Call 226.533.2767 ext. 623 to reserve up to two (2) hours on the Makerspace equipment. No online or drop-in reservations.
- 3D printers, button maker, and magnet maker – Available through Makerspace Pick-up Service only.
Discovery Centre (second floor):
- Lite Brite wall, LEGO wall, and iPads - Drop-in to use in the Discovery Centre.
- Children’s books, wonderbooks and launchpads, individual STEAM crafts and activities, and STEAMboxes – Drop-in to use in the Discovery Centre or to pick up to take home.
- Use of floor limited to 1 hour.
Riverview Room (first floor):
- Study tables, Wi-Fi, laptops, printing, photocopying, and faxing – Drop-in to use in the Riverview and Reading Rooms. Available on a first-come, first-served basis. Use is limited to 1 hour.
Creative Studios (lower level):
- AV Rooms, Nintendo Switch on the big screen, Xbox, PlayStation, green screen, and digitization station - Call 226.533.2767 ext. 603 to reserve your time on the Creative Studios equipment.
- Musical instruments (BIG floor piano, acoustic and electric guitars, bass, electric drums, theremin) - Drop-in to use in the Creative Studios.
- Virtual Reality and piano – Not available at this time.
- AV Room and digitization use are limited to two (2) hours. Gaming, green screen, and instrument use are limited to one (1) hour.
- Self-guided building tours – Three (3) tours at time of up to four (4) people or one household each. Drop-in only and limited to 1 hour.
- Third floor classroom use - Available for two (2) person bookings when not in use by Idea Exchange. Use is limited to one (1) hour. Regular room rental fees apply.
What do I need to know before my visit?
- A full teen or adult Idea Exchange membership is required for all equipment use.
- A signed waiver is also required to use the Makerspace and Creative Studios.
- One (1) person per machine.
- Members must know how to use the equipment. Only limited staff help is available.
- At the time of booking, staff will confirm the length of your reservation, verify your project, and outline our safety procedures.
- Any tools required will be set out by staff before you arrive.
- Please arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before your appointment to allow for physical distancing.
- Visitor occupancy is limited to ensure 2-metre physical distancing can be maintained at all times.
- We have implemented public health recommendations to ensure the safety of our staff and members. Please review our Safety Procedures before your visit.