Idea Exchange | August 7, 2020
Starting on Monday, August 10, Idea Exchange, Old Post Office is expanding in-person services to include limited Discovery Centre activities, self-guided tours, and limited study space. Equipment use, Makerspace Pick-up Service and Take and Make kits also continue. Hours and services differ between floors. Please review all information below before you visit.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
- Makerspace: Monday to Saturday, 12:00pm - 6:00pm
- All Other Floors and Pick-up Service: Monday to Saturday, 10:00am - 6:00pm
WHAT EQUIPMENT IS AVAILABLE AND HOW CAN I USE IT?
Makerspace (third floor):
- Laser cutter, Cricut machine, embroidery machine, sewing machines, and tools – Call 226.533.2767 ext. 623 to reserve up to two hours on the Makerspace equipment. No online or drop-in reservations.
- 3D printers, button maker, and magnet maker – Available through Makerspace Pick-up Service only.
Discovery Centre (second floor):
- Children’s books, individual crafts, individual sensory play materials – Drop-in to use in-house or to pick up.
- iPads and Launchpads - Drop-in to use in the Discovery Centre. Full teen or adult Idea Exchange membership required for use.
- Lite Brite, LEGO, and magnetic walls, and Rigamajig – Not available at this time.
- Use of floor may be limited to 45 minutes.
Riverview Room (first floor):
- Study tables, Wi-Fi, laptops, printing, photocopying, and faxing – Drop-in to use in the Riverview and Reading Rooms. Available on a first-come, first-served basis. Use may be limited to 45 minutes.
Creative Studios (lower level):
- AV Rooms, Xbox, PlayStation, green screen, and digitization station - Call 226.533.2767 ext. 603 to reserve your time on the Creative Studios equipment.
- Gaming and green screen reservations may be limited to 45 minutes. AV Rooms are each limited to one (1) person per day.
- Virtual Reality, Nintendo Switch, and musical instruments – Not available at this time.
WHAT OTHER SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE?
- Self-guided Tours and Terrace Use – Available for up to four (4) people at a time. Drop-in only and limited to 1 hour maximum.
- Third Floor Classroom Use - Available for one (1) person bookings when not in use by Idea Exchange. Regular time limits and room rental fees apply.
- Materials for checkout – Drop-in to pick up if showing as available in the catalogue.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE MY VISIT?
- A full teen or adult Idea Exchange membership is required for all equipment use.
- A signed waiver is also required to use the Makerspace and Creative Studios.
- One (1) person per machine.
- Members must know how to use the equipment. Only limited staff help is available.
- At the time of booking, staff will confirm the length of your reservation, verify your project, and outline our safety procedures.
- Any tools required will be set out by staff before you arrive.
- Please arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before your appointment to allow for physical distancing.
- Visitor occupancy is limited to ensure 2-metre physical distancing can be maintained at all times.
- We have implemented public health recommendations to ensure the safety of our staff and members. Please review our Safety Procedures before your visit.