Provincewide State of Emergency: Open for Contact Free Pick-up Service Only
As of January 14, the Ontario government has placed Ontario in a provincewide state of emergency. We continue to keep our buildings closed to the public, offering material pick-ups and online services only. The following services are available:
- Pick-up of material holds at the door.
- External drop-boxes are always open for material returns.
- Pick-up of projects from the Old Post Office Makerspace.
- Wireless printing pick-up.
- 24-hour Wi-Fi outside all building locations.
NEW HOURS: All Idea Exchange locations are open Mondays through Fridays, 10:00am to 6:00pm and Saturdays 10:00am to 2:00pm for Contact Free Pick-up Service. Closed Sundays. Complete the COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire before your visit. Masks are still required for contactless pick-up.
While Idea Exchange’s buildings will be closed for in-person service, our online resources are always available. Sign up for an online membership, to download eBooks and eAudiobooks, magazines and stream movies. You can also access free educational resources from anywhere.
Sign up to receive more information about services and programs via your inbox with e-news from Idea Exchange.
SERVICES THAT ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
SERVICES THAT ARE UNAVAILABLE
- All in-person access to our buildings is suspended.
KEEPING OUR COMMUNITY SAFE
We have implemented public health recommendations to ensure the safety of our staff and members. Health and safety measures include:
- Limiting our visitor capacity and practising 2-metre physical distancing at all times
- Having staff and visitors follow Region of Waterloo’s mandatory Face Covering By-law
- Isolating all returned materials for 96+ hours
- Providing hand sanitizer and requiring visitors use it upon entrance
- Requiring members to limit the length of their visit
- Asking visitors to practice good hand hygiene and cough/sneeze etiquette throughout their visit
- Using acrylic protective shields at all staff service points
- Enhancing our cleaning protocols, including regular sanitizing of high-touch surfaces and equipment.
- Continuing contact free Pick-up Service at all locations by request
- Not allowing food or spillable drinks
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Stay home if you are feeling unwell, have a fever, new cough, or difficulty breathing
- Complete the COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire before visiting an Idea Exchange location
- Wear a face covering. If you are unable to wear a face covering, reserve materials can be picked up at the door.
- Practice physical distancing
- Sanitize or wash upon entrance to the building and frequently throughout your visit
OTHER QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
All possible precautions are being taken to ensure that items are safe to handle. Any items returned will be isolated for the recommended period, minimum of 96 hours, prior to being loaned out again.
As an added precaution, seven (7) additional days have been to every loan period to ensure that you have enough time to pick-up items and leave them untouched for your own quarantine period before using them. Until further notice, there will be no overdue fines on materials.
Items that were borrowed prior to the March closure may incur overdue fines. But don't worry! These fines will be waived when the item is checked in. For more information, see our Borrowing information.
Courtesy notices are sent out when items remain checked out past their due date.
If you have received a notice for materials that you have returned, please be aware that all items remain checked out on your account for a minimum of 96 hours for quarantine. Don’t worry though, 2020 is fine free!
If you have not yet returned your item(s), you can do so through our external drop boxes, which are open 24/7 at Clemens Mill, Hespeler, Preston, and Queen’s Square. For more information, see our guidelines on Returning Materials.
You will be notified by telephone or email when your item(s) are ready for pick up. After receiving this notification, you can stop in at any time during our open hours.
Sign-in to your library account at any time to check the status of your holds.
External drop boxes are open 24/7 at Clemens Mill, Hespeler, Preston, and Queen’s Square for returns. For more information, see our guidelines on Returning Materials.
All returned materials will be held in quarantine for a minimum of 96 hours. During this quarantine period, the items will remain checked out to your account. This helps reduce possible exposure of COVID-19 for staff and reduces the risk of cross contamination to other materials and equipment.
Don’t worry though, 2020 is fine free!
Seven (7) days have been added to loan periods. 1-day loan materials, such as new DVDs, have been extended to 14 days. These extended loan periods give you enough time to leave your materials untouched for your own quarantine period before using them.
For more information about loan periods and renewals, please see our Borrowing guidelines.
Only wireless printing is available at this time. Items can be picked up at the door. Need more help? Call us or ask us online.