Due to Provincial Restrictions: Open for Front Door Pick up Service Only
Due to provincial restrictions, Idea Exchange locations remain open only for contactless pick up and drop off of materials at the entrance. At this time, our buildings remain closed but our online services are available 24/7. The following services are available:
- Pick up of material holds at the door.
- Outside return boxes for materials are open 24/7.
- Old Post Office Make and Takes and pick up service.
- Wireless printing pick up.
- 24-hour WiFi outside all building locations
- Free Crafty Creations kits, while supplies last.
- New! We now offer photocopying, scanning and faxing drop off and pick up
While Idea Exchange’s buildings will be closed for in-person service, our online resources are available 24/7. Sign up for an online membership, download eBooks and eAudiobooks, magazines and stream movies. You can also access free educational resources from anywhere.
Sign up to receive more information about services and programs via your inbox with e-news from Idea Exchange.
SERVICES THAT ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
SERVICES THAT ARE UNAVAILABLE
- All in person access inside of our buildings is suspended
We have implemented public health recommendations to ensure the safety of our staff and members. Health and safety measures include:
- Limiting our visitor capacity and practising 2-metre physical distancing at all times
- Having staff and visitors follow Region of Waterloo’s mandatory Face Covering By-law
- Face Masks and hand sanitizer available as needed
- Requiring members to limit the length of their visit to 45 minutes or less
- Asking visitors to practice good hand hygiene and cough/sneeze etiquette throughout their visit
- Using acrylic protective shields at all staff service points
- Enhancing our cleaning protocols, including regular sanitizing of high-touch surfaces and equipment.
- Continuing contact free Pick-up Service at all locations by request
- Not allowing food or spillable drinks
- Stay home if you are feeling unwell, have a fever, new cough, or difficulty breathing
- Wear a face covering
- Practice physical distancing
- Sanitize or wash upon entrance to the building and frequently throughout your visit
- Limit your visit to 60 minutes of less
OTHER QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
Yes, it is safe to borrow materials.
As of June 11, 2021, the provincial government has removed the COVID-19 regulation that library materials must be quarantined when returned.
This change means that you won’t have to wait as long for library materials and items will be checked in off your account with no extra delay. We are still providing an additional 7 days on loan periods if you wish to continue to isolate your checked-out materials at home.
Idea Exchange continues to evolve and adjust our procedures as new information comes to light around COVID-19 and public health measures change and are updated. We closely monitor the developments related to COVID-19 and we continue to use an evidence-based approach to inform decisions around the relaunch of our services and safety protocols for staff and public. Based on new evidence, the risk of transmission of the COVID-19 virus through inanimate surfaces such as library materials is very unlikely.
Courtesy notices are sent out when items remain checked out past their due date.
If you have not yet returned your item(s), you can do so through our external drop boxes, which are open 24/7 at Clemens Mill, Hespeler, Preston, and Queen’s Square. For more information, see our guidelines on Returning Materials.
Idea Exchange is committed to ensuring the wellbeing of our members and staff with enhanced safety rules and cleaning procedures.
All precautions (as noted above) are based on the recommendations of Public Health and Government officials, including the requirement that all members and staff wear a face mask or covering, practice 2-metre physical distancing at all times, and limit the length of time spent in contact with one another.
You will be notified by telephone or email when your item(s) are ready for pick up. After receiving this notification, you can stop in at any time during our open hours.
Sign-in to your library account at any time to check the status of your holds.
External drop boxes are open 24/7 at Clemens Mill, Hespeler, Preston, and Queen’s Square for returns. For more information, see our guidelines on Returning Materials.
During provincewide shut down restrictions, members are unable to browse the collection. Staff assistance is available over the phone or chat and we can place items on hold for you for pick up. We are always here to help answer your questions or suggest a new read, something to watch or listen to. Call or email us your question or chat with us during open hours.
Seven (7) days have been added to loan periods. 1-day loan materials, such as new DVDs, have been extended to 14 days. These extended loan periods give you more time with the item(s) and if you wish to to isolate your checked-out materials at home. Idea Exchange is no longer quarantining returned items based on updated regulations from the provincial government.
For more information about loan periods and renewals, please see our Borrowing guidelines.
During the shutdown, all Idea Exchange locations offer convenient wireless printing. You can easily connect to our printers from your device and retrieve your print jobs using our contactless pick up service.
- Free black and white printing up to 10 pages per day per person.
- Free colour printing up to 2 pages per day per person.
- You must pick up your print job the same day or it will be deleted.
If you require more copies printed, please contact the location to arrange payment or if you have further questions.