435 King Street East, Cambridge, ON
In the quietness of the streams, in the majesty of the forests, I have experienced a peace and an inspiration which makes it a joy to paint.
We are pleased to be part of an exciting fundraising project that also brings well deserved attention to the late Harold Morrow (1903-1981). This Preston artist celebrated the unique landscape of the region and documented many local landmarks in his expressive watercolours during the 1960’s and 70’s. While painting was his passion, Harold also conducted an active barbershop on King Street for many years. A wide selection of his work will be available for sale during this special exhibition at our Preston location. Through the generosity of AHHA Interiors Inc., a portion of the proceeds will be donated to support our visual art programming.
Opening: Tuesday, August 26 at 7:00pm
Harold Morrow lived in Preston from the age of 5 and for most of his life carried out an active business as a barber at 954 King Street. He and his wife Eleanor were active members of the Preston community and participants in the King Street Baptist Church.
He began his painting career in 1945 and although primarily a self-taught artist, he took many courses at the Doon School of Art and studied with some of the country’s foremost artists at the time, including A.J. Casson, Carl Schaefer, and R. York Wilson. He also studied at the Payne School of Art in Toronto and went on regular painting excursions beyond the region to Rockport, Massachusetts and Kennybunkport, Maine. Harold exhibited widely throughout south western Ontario and was the recipient of many honors and awards for his expressive paintings. He captured the essence of rural Waterloo County, its many farms, as well as the mills and made side trips to Port Dover, exploring the activity of fishermen and boaters along the shore of Lake Erie.
Before retiring, his regular routine was to be up at 6 am and away to the Doon hills where he painted till 8 am and then returned to his barbershop. Harold inspired many local artists and helped to organize the Preston Art Club in 1946 which grew rapidly from a few to a membership of 100 artists.
In 1972, Harold’s work was featured in a solo exhibition at the Galt Public Library.