art galleries banner

Galt (Ont.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.

197 West River Road

Address: 197 West River Rd.

Owners: Simon and Carole Vandervoort

Significance: This stone home is a rather recent addition to West River Road. It was built with a number of other homes in the late 1920s and '30s. The house has an estimated construction date of 1936 and was built in the arts and crafts design. It was built low to the ground with an asymmetrical design and steep-pitched roof. The rocks used in the construction of the home were stones gathered from fields in the area - fittingly named "Riverstone."

224 West River Road

Address: 224 West River Rd.

Owners: Caroline and Martin Hare

Significance: This craftsman-style home was built circa 1927 and was one of the original homes to be built on the west side of West River Road. The name of the home’s first owner is not known by the current owners, but he apparently collected all the stone for the house on a property on the east side of the river, while the trim was supplied by a hardwood tree felled on the site. The original property comprised several acres of land, but was subdivided when it was owned by Howard A. Jenkins.

275 West River Road

Address: 275 West River Rd.

Owner: Name withheld

Significance: According to the Waterloo Historical Society, this two-storey stone home was built as a suburban residence in 1916, although some believe it dates back to the 1870s. Architecturally, the granite and limestone home has been built in the Italianate style and carries Galt architect James Dalgleish’s hallmark mix of various coloured stone. A series of Welsh-arched windows contrast the large lancet window in the front gable. The home’s roofline has deep eaves and soffits.

Lockie Farm, West River Road

Address: West River Road

Owner: Don and Betty Clubine

Significance: Although no exact date can be fixed to this Cambridge area home, it is widely accepted to be one of the earliest stone homes built on West River Road. This one-and-a-half storey stone home was constructed for Thomas Lockie, a local farmer whose family retained the house until 1939. Built circa 1840 in the Georgian style, this simple home has a large front entry framed by pairs of flat-headed windows on its front facade.
This home was featured on the Heritage Cambridge House Tour.

14 Yorke Place

Address: 14 Yorke Place

Owner: Name withheld

Significance: Cloned homes aren't all necessarily found in the city’s most recent housing developments. This Ontario cottage is one of four nearly identical homes built on this small street in the late 1800s. Yorke Place was originally called Young Street, named for innkeeper John Young, whose son James established the old Dumfries Reformer and served as the city's MPP and for a time was Ontario’s treasurer.

Pages