art galleries banner

Galt (Ont.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.

14-16 Victoria Avenue

Address: 14-16 Victoria Ave.

Owner: Name withheld

Significance: While there have been numerous changes to the home since it was built circa 1898, the underlying architectural style remains. This two-storey stucco home has been built in the Gothic Revival style. It has a steeply sloped roof, and decorative bargeboard trim in its gables. The home’s two porches also have retained much of their ornate woodwork. According to city archives, the home has always been a labourer’s residence and was first subdivided in the 1930s and again in the 1950s.

2-4 Warnock Street

Address: 2-4 Warnock St.

Owners: Gerry Musselman

Significance: Built in 1847 for Alex Adair, a local carpenter, this rubblestone semi-detached home was built in the Georgian style and was heavily influenced by Scottish tradition. The home is simple in style with few frills and has two large chimneys at either end of the house. The historically designated building is considered significant based on its architectural merits.

14-32 Water Street South

Address: 14-32 Water St. S.

Owner: Cypress Holdings Ontario Inc.

Significance: This Romanesque Revival building was built over Absalom Shade’s garden in 1887. The Imperial Block was once Galt’s answer to one-stop shopping. It housed the Commercial Bank, a grocery store, tailor shop, hairdresser, tobacconist, dentist, dressmaker and musical instrument store.

The building has not been designated, but is considered significant based on its architectural merits.

200 Water Street North

Address: 210 Water St, N.

Owner: Waterloo Region District School Board

Significance: In 1852, Michael C. Howe founded the Galt Grammar School as a private school for boys, but it was not until his successor William Tassie took over did the school attain continent—wide distinction. Tassie was a strict disciplinarian and a classical scholar. The name of the school was changed in 1869 to Galt High School and then to Galt Collegiate Institute in 1872. It was one of only six schools in Ontario to have the name and privileges of a collegiate institute (local college).

Pages