art galleries banner

Stone. cpl

224 West River Road

Address: 224 West River Rd.

Owners: Caroline and Martin Hare

Significance: This craftsman-style home was built circa 1927 and was one of the original homes to be built on the west side of West River Road. The name of the home’s first owner is not known by the current owners, but he apparently collected all the stone for the house on a property on the east side of the river, while the trim was supplied by a hardwood tree felled on the site. The original property comprised several acres of land, but was subdivided when it was owned by Howard A. Jenkins.

Lockie Farm, West River Road

Address: West River Road

Owner: Don and Betty Clubine

Significance: Although no exact date can be fixed to this Cambridge area home, it is widely accepted to be one of the earliest stone homes built on West River Road. This one-and-a-half storey stone home was constructed for Thomas Lockie, a local farmer whose family retained the house until 1939. Built circa 1840 in the Georgian style, this simple home has a large front entry framed by pairs of flat-headed windows on its front facade.
This home was featured on the Heritage Cambridge House Tour.

Pages