Lapointe Magne Associés (LMA) is a rare example of longetivity in the québecois context, as the original firm was founded in 1955. For 25 and 40 years respectively, various incarnations of the firm gravitated around John Bland, then director of the McGill School of Architecture and Roy Emile LeMoyne also an influential teacher at McGill. Michel Lapointe and Robert Magne played a key role in the transition of the firm starting in 1984 and, culminating with the construction of the McCord Museum extension in 1992, which according to architectural critic David Theodore, proved to be a benchmark not only for LMA, but for the Quebec architectural community at large. Working principally in the public sector, the firm presently includes four partners with approximately 15 architects and technicians.
Frédéric Dubé, partner: Recipient of the A.F.Dunlop travelling scholarship from McGill University for overall academic achievement in 1986, Fréderic Dubé was also awarded the Canada Council Barcelona studio award in 1990. In parallel to his professional activities, he is involved in architectural education as a teacher or invited critic at various universities (Montréal, McGill, UQAM and Waterloo). He was principal coordinator of the Dialogues with the Transformative City exhibition at Design at Riverside.