Gabrielle, Queen's Square | December 22, 2020
This holiday season my family is looking to support more local businesses with our gift giving purchases than ever before. As a maker myself, I wanted to dig deep to find others who have home-based businesses that I wouldn’t ordinarily stumble upon. Ends up I didn’t have to look that hard! A few quick scrolls on social media groups like Cambridge Moms gave me hundreds of options. Jackpot! I had no idea there were so many moms out there, making and selling their handmade creations from their homes. To quote a cliché, there really is something for everyone. Here are five of my favourites:
- Cherie Ink – Terrific (sometimes cheeky) t-shirts, mugs, and coasters. Pick up one of her designs or custom create your own.
- Hot Bomb Moms – Indulge in the hot chocolate bomb trend with over 10 different flavours and speciality (ahem, adult) bombs. Kids will love the colour changing hot chocolate.
- Dane Jane Designs – Pretty felt wreaths for all occasions and hair bows. I’m eyeing her unique bookmarks for all my bookish friends.
- Baths Gone Wild – Bath bombs and personal care products. Check out the “Over the Rainbow” bath bomb with a hidden rainbow inside.
- The Design Bar – Gorgeous leather jewelry with contemporary design. Someone on my list is definitely receiving a pair of earrings.
If you prefer someone to do the curating for you, there are great shops around town like Juniper Artisan Collective and One Sixty One Artisan Market that are not only locally owned, but carry products made by others in the community. Simply stop by and enjoy their selection.
Don’t forget our Makerspace at the Old Post Office has affordable, customizable options for gift giving. From mugs and t-shirts to 3D puzzles and more, you can get crafty with our Take and Make kits available for order. If you want to get even more hands-on, book an appointment to use our Laser cutter, Cricut machine, embroidery machine, or sewing machines by calling 226.533.2767 ext. 623. Our Hespeler location also has festive mug kits available.
Whether you make it yourself, or buy from someone else who made it, you can’t lose with a handmade gift.