Idea Exchange's Preston location is getting a fresh new look.
Starting Tuesday, September 5, 2023, the Preston location will undergo exterior renovations to improve the front entrance accessibility and rejuvenate the ageing façade.
The building has experienced wear-and-tear on its exterior features in the more than 20 years since its last renovation, including the wooden slat walls and ceramic tile. This renovation will replace and restore these features.
We are excited to unveil our Preston location's new look once the renovation is complete. Idea Exchange will continue to provide a community space that is welcoming to all during the renovations.
Services available during renovation
Idea Exchange's Preston location will remain open during the exterior renovations.
- Members will be able to access the building and all of its library and gallery services during the renovation.
- Primary access to the building will be moved to the community garden doors at the back of building through the garden space, which are accessible.
- Curbside pick-up is also available for requested items. Call 519-653-3632 to arrange a pick-up with staff.
- The parking lot at Preston will be closed starting Friday, September 1, 2023 for the duration of the renovations. See "Will parking be available?" under Commonly Asked Questions below for details on alternative options for parking when you visit.
- The exterior book drop will be unavailable during construction. We ask that members return items during open hours or to another location.
Commonly Asked Questions
- Will parking be available?
The parking lot at Preston will be closed during the exterior renovation. Parking along King Street and the Dover Street parking lot (131 - 139 Dover Street North) are available for parking. The Dover Street parking lot is a time-limited free lot.
Please refer to the Public Parking in Preston Towne Centre map to learn more about your parking options in Preston.
- Will the Preston location still offer programming?
Yes, Preston staff will be offering programming during renovations. Information regarding programs hosted at Idea Exchange, Preston, can be found in Idea Exchange's magazine and on our website on the Program and Events page.
- Will the gallery be open?
Yes, the Cambridge Art Galleries at Preston will be open and accessible. Discover current exhibitions.
- How will I return items to the Preston location? Will there be a book drop?
You will be able to return your items to Idea Exchange, Preston, by dropping off items at the Member Services desk located inside the library.
The exterior book drop will not be accessible during the renovation.
As always, members may also return items at any other Idea Exchange location.
Idea Exchange is Fine Free. Overdue fines will not be charged when materials are returned late.
- When will the renovation be complete?
The project should take approximately four months to complete. We hope to have it finished in the autumn of 2023.
- How was the renovation funded?
Idea Exchange received $135,000 through the Government of Canada’s Canada Community Revitalization Fund (CCRF) to improve accessibility to the front entrance and rejuvenate the current exterior at our Preston location.