Address: 60 Water Street N
Owners: City of Cambridge
Significance: Built circa 1849, the former home of Morris Lutz has been designated for both architectural and historical reasons. The two-storey, rubble limestone home has large rock-faced limestone quoins and wood sills and is an early example of Galt housing. Morris Lutz, an American entrepreneur, moved to the community, built one of the first foundries and a farm implement factory. In 1857, he became the town of Galt’s first mayor and holds the distinction of holding the first council meeting in the old City Hall. In recent years, the Lutz House has become part of the Living Levee and is home to the Cambridge Jaycees and the Cambridge Downtown Business Improvement Association offices.
Landmarks is a regular feature of the Cambridge Times. Information is supplied through the Cambridge Archives and MHAC, the Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.