life + learning banner

224 West River Road

224 West River Road
Publication date: 
September 28, 1999.

Address: 224 West River Rd.

Owners: Caroline and Martin Hare

Significance: This craftsman-style home was built circa 1927 and was one of the original homes to be built on the west side of West River Road. The name of the home’s first owner is not known by the current owners, but he apparently collected all the stone for the house on a property on the east side of the river, while the trim was supplied by a hardwood tree felled on the site. The original property comprised several acres of land, but was subdivided when it was owned by Howard A. Jenkins.

Architecturally, the craftsman style was popular from 1905 to the end of the 1920s. This home features a wide porch which runs the width of the house and is supported by four thick columns. The low-pitched roof is clad in red shingle, which is broken by a central dormer. Another remarkable feature of this storey-and—a-half home is its heavy fieldstone walls. The stone was likely collected from nearby fields.

The home has not been designated under the Ontario Heritage Act, but is considered significant.

Notes: 

Landmarks is a regular feature of the Cambridge Times. Information is supplied through the Cambridge Archives and MHAC, the Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.
Built circa 1927.