Address: 187 West River Rd.
Owner: Name withheld
Significance: This handsome home, built circa 1857, is a twin to Glen Echo, at 27 Carolinian Lane, and was likely constructed by the same Stonemason. It originally stood on 130 acres that was divided into cultivated land and a woodlot. The home once belonged to William “Pistol Willie” Cowan, who was famous as the ringleader of the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church members who stole and concealed the church bell during the Disruption in the mid-1800s. The bell remained buried on the farm for decades until its resurrection and ascension to the tower of Knox’s Galt Presbyterian Church.
The home is an Ontario Gothic Style home with a pointed arched window with a broad limestone surround, and a set-in peaked roof dormer. The original stonework around the windows are now partially covered with shutters, but the voussoirs is still visible. The front door with its transom and sidelight retains its original styling, as do the three chimneys on the roof. Unlike its twin at 27 Carolinian Lane, this home has retained its original simple porch structure.
Landmarks is a regular feature of the Cambridge Times. Information is supplied through the Cambridge Archives and MHAC, the Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.