Here are some books, CDs and DVDs to help you learn English:
More books, audio courses, DVDs and computer programs to help you learn to communicate in English. For beginners and more advanced students.
English Language Tests
Study guides for English language tests
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication)
Reading and Listening
You can read and listen to a book at the same time! The library has "kits" that include a short book and a CD.
Children's kits help beginning students improve their English. More advanced students will enjoy the longer stories in the kits for adults. Here are lists of kits:.
Learn the world's most popular languages with these fun and easy online lessons. ESL, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, and many more. Go mobile with Mango's free apps for Apple (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) and Android.
Middle and high school students! Listen, read or read-along with these books on your computer. Contains adult & teen novels, classics, poetry, Shakespeare and educational videos from National Geographic. Always available.
English Language Classes
You must have a free assessment of your English skills to join most English language classes in Cambridge
Step 1 - Contact YMCA Immigrant Services at 519.621.1621
Step 2 - Have your English skills assessed.
Step 3 - Register for a course at one of these learning centres:
- English Language Instruction (ESL) classes - St. Louis Adult Learning and Continuing Education Centre
- Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) classes - St. Louis Adult Learning and Continuing Education Centre
- English Language Programs (LINC and ESL) - Conestoga College
- LINC Home Study
Practice speaking English with native English speakers in a safe and friendly environment. Conversation circles are held weekly at some Idea Exchange locations.
YMCA Immigrant Services in Cambridge also holds conversation circles. Call them at 519.621.1621 for more information.