Join us for the City Nature Challenge 2022! The City Nature Challenge is an international effort for people to find and document plants and wildlife in cities across the globe. We have partnered with ten organizations across Waterloo Region to get our community outside and noticing the natural beauty around us. Let’s show the world the unique species that live right here! Taking part is easy:
- From April 29-May 2, take pictures of wild things. It can be any plant, animal, or any other evidence of life found in your backyard, neighbourhood or park that is wild (not cultivated).
- From April 29-May 2, upload your photos as “observations” on the iNaturalist app. iNaturalist is a free app available for your phone, tablet or computer.
- From May 3-8, help us “identify” all the species we found in our group page on iNaturalist.
For more information about the City Nature Challenge visit https://citynaturechallenge.org/ . The City Nature Challenge is organized on a global scale by the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and the California Academy of Sciences.
For more information about iNaturalist including instructions and tutorials, visit https://inaturalist.ca/ and click here for answers to our most frequently asked questions.
- City Nature Challenge Kick Off! - Friday, April 29, 9:30-11:00AM
- City Nature Challenge Meet Up – Thompson Tract – Saturday, April 30th – 10:30-12:00PM
- City Nature Challenge Meet Up – Bechtel Park - Saturday, April 30th – 2:00-3:30PM
- City Nature Challenge Meet Up – SpruceHaven - Sunday, May 1st – 9:30-11:00AM
- City Nature Challenge Meet Up – Schmidt Woods - Sunday, May 1st – 10-11:30AM
- City Nature Challenge Meet Up – rare River Trail - Monday, May 2nd 10:30-12:00PM
- City Nature Challenge Meet Up – Huron Natural Area - Monday, May 2nd– 4:30-6:00PM
- City of Cambridge
- Greenway-Chaplin Community Centre
- Cambridge City Green
- Alison Neighbourhood Community Centre:
- Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory
- rare Charitable Research Reserve
In addition to participating in the Challenge itself, you can enjoy these great programs that highlight the biodiversity around us:
- A Virtual Visit with the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory, Thursday, April 14 at 2:00pm
- Getting Started with iNaturalist, Thursday April 14 at 7:00pm
- The Wild and Wonderful Outdoors – Songs and Stories with Ginalina, Thursday, April 21 at 2:15pm
- A World Beneath Feet: Meet the Soil Critters Up Close! Thursday, April 28 at 2:00pm
- Squirrels in the City, Wednesday May 4 at 2:00pm