Whether you want to discover a new favourite author or meet new friends, we can bring 50 shades of exciting to your life.
Join us for a discussion at one of our book clubs, or check out a Book Club in a Bag for your very own group.
The BIG Ideas Book Club
From business books to innovation, self-improvement to downright inspirational—the BIG Ideas Book Club is your chance to engage in lively discussions on the latest and greatest in nonfiction. Bring all the TEDx energy and go get ‘em gumption that you have. Push yourself outside of the box, stretch your comfort zones, and state your case! It’s time to discuss some big ideas. Meets every fourth Tuesday, 6:30-8:00pm, at the Old Post Office.
- January 22: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
- February 26: That’ll Never Work by KPMG Enterprise
- No meeting in March
- April 23: The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*CK by Mark Manson
- May 28: The Right –and – Wrong Stuff: How Brilliant Careers Are Made and Unmade by Carter Cast
- June 25: The Origins of Happiness by Andrew E. Clark, Sarah Flèche, Richard Layard, Nattavudh Powdthavee, and George Ward
Beyond the Book
This new book club at Queen’s Square meets on the third Wednesday of each month from 2:00 - 3:00pm. Each season, we'll have a different theme and explore the worlds of three different books. In the winter of 2019, we'll be reading adventures in time travel and we'll always look "beyond the book."
- January 16: The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
- February 20: Kindred by Octavia Butler
- March 20: Timeline by Michael Crichton
The Un | Book Club
With no set book to read, this club is about conversation and enjoying a beverage of your choice at a different pub or cafe in Cambridge on the third Tuesday of each month from 7:00 – 8:00pm. Discuss what you've been reading, watching or listening to, while meeting new people! Share a favourite book and make new connections in a relaxed, social environment.
- January 15: Nagano Sushi (map)
- February 19: The Bruce Craft (map)
- March 19: JC Royal Thai Cuisine (map)
Preston Book Club
Prefer a more traditional approach? Drop into the Preston Book Club on the last Friday of the month from 9:30- 11:00am. Come, discover and discuss new books!
- January 25: The Giver by Lois Lowry
- February 22: Any Known Blood by Lawrence Hill
- March 29: Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
Clemens Mill Book Club
Join our book club at Clemens Mill which meets on the second Monday of the month (unless otherwise stated), 6:30pm – 8:00pm.
- January 14: The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper by Phaedra Patrick
- February 11: The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill
- March 18*: The Storied Life of A.J. Filkry by Gabrielle Zevin
- April 8: A Long Way Home (also published as "Lion") by Saroo Brierley
- May 13: The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
- June 10: Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson
*Held one week later than usual.
Book Club Kits
Kick start your reading group by taking home a Book Club in a Bag! Each of our book club kits contains everything you need for a lively get-together. You'll find 8 copies of the same book, a tracking sheet [PDF] and discussion guide all in one easy-to-carry tote bag. Bestsellers and more are available:
Websites for Book Clubs
Successfully set up and run your own book club with these discussion guides, links and reviews.
Reading Group Choices
Find informative, fun, and interactive material of interest to book clubs, including discussion topics as well as wine and book pairings.