Kathleen, Queen's Square | June 1, 2017
Over 7 million songs. That’s a lot of reasons to love Freegal. And if you love Freegal as much as we do, you probably have a monster playlist downloaded on your favourite device. But, when was the last time you backed it up?
Why back up your Freegal music?
Your Freegal downloads can become inaccessible for a few reasons. Maybe your device crashes. Or you lose your phone. Or, you replace your Idea Exchange membership card.
Any songs downloaded to the Freegal app are specific to the card number and the device. If either of those change, the songs are lost. Idea Exchange can’t retrieve them for you, and neither can Freegal.
So don’t lose out. Make sure you always have access to your Freegal music by backing up regularly.
To back up your Freegal Music from your iOS mobile device to iTunes:
- Plug your iOS device into your computer. If you see a pop-up asking: “Do you trust this device?” select "Yes".
- Open up iTunes on your computer. You should see an icon of your device appear to the right of the "More" button (three dots) on the left side of your screen, under the player. To open your device, click on the picture.
- On the left side of your computer screen, you will see the Option bar. To open the "Apps" screen, select "Apps". Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click to highlight “Freegal Music” under "File Sharing".
- A folder named after your library card number will appear on the right side of your screen.
- Click to highlight the folder shown, then click "Save To". A popup will appear to select where to save the file. (It's easiest to select Desktop and Click "Save to".)
- Disconnect your device from computer.
- Open iTunes on your computer. Click on the music icon.
- On your desktop (or wherever you elected to save it), you should see your music folder. Click to open the folder on your computer, then click on "Music" folder that appears.
- To add the song(s) to iTunes, select and drag the song files back into your Music Library within iTunes. Once you have added the song(s) to iTunes, you can sync it to any other device using iTunes.
Please note: PC-users will not see "Save to" when saving the file to their desktop. PC-users will see "Select Folder". Click this button where your songs and folder will transfer the same.
Don’t let this be the day the music dies. Back up your Freegal collection today.
More questions about Freegal? Check out the Freegal FAQs.