Mya Kidson | December 8, 2017
As the 1st of December rolls around, it seems as though we are living in Christmas-town. Lights line the gutters of neighbourhood houses, trees covered in popcorn garland and mismatched ornaments, crowds of people adorn shopping malls like a bejewelled necklace. Sale items are snatched up in the matter of seconds as parents buy gifts and check them off from the millions of wish lists made per year. Christmas is a joyous time for sure, but sometimes the holiday season can seem overwhelming and rushed. Below is a list sure to keep you sane during the bustling holiday season….
- Visit historic sites for their Christmas displays. I have been to Woodside’s Lamplight, Westfield’s Christmas in the village and Castle Kilbride's Christmas time display.
- Take a night drive around the neighbourhood to look at all the glistening Christmas displays.
- Give to those in need at Christmas time; whether it be bringing food to the food bank or participating in the toy drive.
- Host a Christmas movie marathon and watch all of your favourites leading up to Christmas day.
- Go sledding or take a hike in the white woods.
- Have a campfire. If you don’t have access to a real campfire put on the campfire channel on TV. It always makes the cold evenings relaxing.
- Spend an afternoon decorating the house with all things festive, and don’t forget the Christmas music
- Find a new recipe for a warm drink on a cold winter day; whether it be a Chai tea latte, or peppermint hot cocoa. Bring Starbucks to your home.
- Bake cookies to go along with that warm chai tea latte.
- Go be a kid again and make snow angels in the snow. Or maybe if you're feeling ambitious, build a snow igloo!
- Go ice skating.
- DIY, DIY, DIY!!! Holiday cards, ornaments, whatever it be, channel your inner crafty side or consult Pinterest.
- Ultimately, spend time with friends and family! Have fun, relax, it’s the holiday season!